Friday, February 8, 2008

Day # 1 Orlando

My day started early yesterday! I was up at 2:45 a.m. to get ready to leave for our trip to Orlando. We got to the airport at 5:00, got through security, and waited to board the plane. We had a great flight and arrived in safely in Orlando at around 9:40 a.m. After we got our luggage we headed to Celebration, Florida. It is a cute little masterplanned town. We had a yummy lunch that of course included some coconut cream pie and key lime pie (there were 6 of us sharing) We quickly dropped off our luggage at the hotel and changed clothes and then headed to the mission to start our work.

Thursday night we held a carnival for all the families at the missions. There were bounces houses, face painters, photographers, games and all the stuff you would expect to find at a carnival. Then at 7:00 the fun really began. SPARK after Dark. After a few performances that included the world famous Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and the Righteous Rappers, the lights were turned off and the room was lit with every type of glow stick imaginable!! It was sooo cool!!

I was totally amazed at all the kids that live here. It is one thing to see all the names of the ladies and kids on paper but it is another thing to see them in person. They are all so sweet and have such interesting stories to tell. I loved running around and playing with the kids (it helped ease my missing of my children) and chatting with the ladies.

I am so excited for today! We will be cleaning at the mission and preparing for the retreat which will be tonight, tomorrow morning and Sunday morning. I can't wait to hear more from the ladies and hear their stories.

I visited with one lady at for a little while yesterday and I learned that there really isn't a difference between her and me. I have just been blessed by God that I haven't lost my job or that Brian hasn't lost his job. She is an engineer that has 2 master degrees and lost her job. She was then injured and didn't have insurance and was unable to pay all her bills. She was so excited that we were there and is really looking forward to the retreat. I can wait to see how God works in her life!

To my family, I love and miss you all! See you soon!

1 comment:

Tiffani said...

Sounds like y'all are doing some awesome work! I can't wait to hear more about what God did. Keep having fun!